Home vocation Motjari Meeting, Oct 16th, 2022, Fr. Foeckler’s Lecture Note

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michaela

Motjari Meeting

Oct 16th, 2022, Father Foeckler’s Lecture note

Today’s Gospel

Luke 18:1-8

Jesus told his disciples a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary.

He said, “There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being.

And a widow in that town used to come to him and say,

‘Render a just decision for me against my adversary.’

For a long time the judge was unwilling, but eventually he thought,

‘While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being,

because this widow keeps bothering me

I shall deliver a just decision for her

lest she finally come and strike me.'”

The Lord said, “Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says.

Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones

who call out to him day and night?

Will he be slow to answer them?

I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily.

But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

Keys to salvation is faith. Act of will, act of hope, we put our trust in God. Faith has two aspects, one is knowledge, the other is hope. That’s what salvation is based off.

The widow’s persistence was the key to success. She got justice by being there every day.

If the just the unjust judge gives the woman justice, how much more/faster/better God will give judgement who persists in asking.

In St. Luke’s gospel, last week’s story is about increasing our faith, this week’s story is about prayer. Prayer is the expression of faith. When I pray, I exercise of my faith. That’s also an act of faith when we are praying. My faith in God gets stronger. It’s a two way street.

The thing that makes prayer successful is persistence. We want to pray for things that last, things that matter. It is Salavtion.

How do we keep faith? We will look into the 2nd reading of today.

2nd Reading

2 Timothy 3:14-4:2

Beloved:

Remain faithful to what you have learned and believed, because you know from whom you learned it, and that from infancy you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are capable of giving you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingly power: proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.

St. Paul put Timothy in charge of the community of Ephesis.

Inspiration from Latin means “breathing”. That scripture all inspired by God means God breathes in all of them. They are all words of God, means written by God. The word of God is fruitful. It comes from God, and goes back to God. It produces life in abundance. Timothy found his strength in scriptures as a bishop, and guide people toward God with it.

God’s whole plan is to reveal himself to us, and reveal his plan for us by telling us then we become part of the plan of redemption. How do you start relationship with people? You start communicate with them. You have to listen, you have to read the scripture, but you also have to talk to him. That’s how you pray.

What does church teach us?

Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua. Yehosua comes from Joshua. The head of the spiritual army winning battle against evil, that’s the allegory. While Moses is praying, Joshua wins the battle.

We get all kinds of ideas. But if we want to grow in knowledge of anything, we want to grow love of God. When you do little deeper in anything, our hearts get closer, too. We need to grow our knowledge to get closer to God. Through ideas and knowledge, we are moved closer to God. To be a better Christian, you needs to know God.

There are good commentaries available. (Website links added just for reference.)

Dr. Brant Pitre (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMp6rMU0-TTItIr0FM6-8p7zSiXy6J5NT)

Jeff Cavins (https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-jeff-cavins-show-your-catholic-bible-study-podcast/id1201282412)

Dr. Scott Hahn (https://www.scotthahn.com/)

What inspiration of scripture means, the part we read today, is that God is the author. Disciples wrote the scriptures, but God had inspired them, moved their hands.

Q. If the scriptures has error and mistakes, is it God’s error or the writers?

Grammars might be the writer’s mistakes, but the meaning of it stays there. Contradictions, such as two times Jesus went to chapels in two gospels as what people pointed out, doesn’t necessarily a contradiction for Jesus must have passed chapel several times. Also, it belongs God, the church has to be the one who gives the definitive interpretation.

Q.All the different Bibles, do the translators had been chosen by God?

A: No, the translators are not inspired by God. St. Jerome translated the whole Bible from Greek to Latin and approved by the church. From then on, all other translations are derived. King James Version, Jerusalem Bible, Revised Standard Bible, New American Bible, etc.

And the question and answer went on.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Michaela.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Michaela.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.