Home vocation Lecture by Fr. Foeckler (October 30, 2015)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    정하상성당

Date : 10/30/2015  6:30pm                               Place: St. Paul Hasang Church

Speaker: Fr. Foeckler                                                     Topic: “What do You Want Me to Do for You?”

Fr. Foeckler briefly began by explaining why people celebrate so called ‘Halloween’?

We Catholics celebrate November 1st as All Saints Day and November 2nd as All Souls Day.

HALLOWEEN  in old english version defines as All Hallowed Eve.

Hallowed refers to Saints, holy, sacred, consecrated, blessed, etc.

For example can be found in the Lord’s prayer… 

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name…..

Therefore, Halloween derived from celebrating All Hallowed Eve Day. 

Unfortunately, the modern day Halloween is celebrated in dressing up in costumes of all sorts of evil

spirits.  Sadly it dismisses the point of celebrating the holiness of All Saints Day Eve.

Fr. Foeckler then reads the Gospel of Mark 10:46-52  

Blind Bartimaeus Receives His Sight

46 Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means “son of Timaeus”), was sitting by the roadside begging.

47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy 

on me!” 48 Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, 

have mercy on me!”

49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”

So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.”50 Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.

51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.

The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”

52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.”Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus

along the road.

REFLECTION

Just as Jesus asks the blind man, whenever we go to Jesus in prayer, He listens and asks us.

” What do you want me to do for you?”

Jesus doesn’t rebuke us or criticize us but rather He asks us ” What do you want me to do for you?”

Just as mother or father asking their children “what do you want me to help you with?”

Bartimaeus, the blind man used his faith and asked to receive his sight.

Furthermore, he used his faith into action.  He immediately followed Jesus along the road.

Key to God’s treasure box is FAITH.

O Lord, Increase our FAITH.

Amen.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.